- You’ll need to download both the Windows 8 and 8.1 installers from Microsoft. They’re 5.2Mb and 4.7MB respectively.
- Launch the Windows 8 installer (Windows8-Setup.exe).
- Enter your key when prompted and start the download process.
- Pause (don’t quit) the download when it hits exactly 1 percent.
- Exit that installer and launch the Windows 8.1 installer (WindowsSetupBox.exe). This will generate an error saying "The download task did not complete. Element not found".
- Close the setup window and re-run WindowsSetupBox.exe. The download will begin.
- When it’s finished, you'll be asked what you want to do -- "Install now", "Install by creating media" or "Install later from your desktop". Select the option to create media.
- You can choose to use a USB flash drive, or create an ISO file. If you select the second option, you'll be asked where you want the file saved to.
- You'll then be prompted to burn the ISO file to a DVD, with your Windows 8 key shown. You can skip this step if you don't want to make a DVD.